Mach 3 or mach 4

I bought mach 3 with my avid cnc several years ago and so far its done fine, but looking at how mach 4 has grown I’ve been tempted to try mach 4. I run a s30 atc so I waited until the atc functions for mach 4 were more readily available. Is there anything to gain from switching? Anyone see that it runs any smoother, or other feature they really like over mach 3?

1 Like

I can’t speak to the ATC functionality, but they aren’t really working on Mach3 much, and the ESS plugin (I don’t know if you are using ESS or another controller) is only being improved in the Mach4 version.

I think AVID has left Mach3 completely behind as well.

One thing that is nice about Mach4 is it has a screen editor so you can modify your screens to fit your needs.

Here is a really nice custom screen example (for ATC support :-)) by Corbin. Custom Mach 4 ATC User Interface

Also, anyone interested in laser support will definitely want Mach4 since the ESS plugin for Mach4 has had a lot of improvements come in the last year or so.

2 Likes

SAME!!! I am on the fence too.

Yeah, like Jim said - definitely check out my screen set if you have an ATC. In particular, look at the features it offers and see if that is something compelling that you might want or need. Such as, any tool number in any given pocket/station, some handy buttons on the main screen, options for checking the air pressure and turning on an additional fan or case pressurization. I’ve got a few videos showing how to set it up.

Otherwise…if Mach 3 works and you are fine with it, then don’t do anything!

1 Like

Thanks for the help guys. I may buy mach 4 just to play with but as for running jobs Ill stick with mach 3 for now.

1 Like

Your screen set is what really made me curious with mach 4. I have one I bought from cnc4rx7 that has made mach 3 feel more like a commercial router control setup. It has most of the features that yours does, like using any tool in any slot which makes using more tools beyond the allotted tool forks a breeze. Its a small thing but I do wish mine had a “putback” button like yours, I dont having the last tool just sitting until the next run because I cant put it in the rack without the router knowing its there.

2 Likes

FYI you can install Mach4 free without paying for it, you’ll just be limited to how long it will run code for. But to mess with configs and screen sets, no license needed.

1 Like