Question about adding a probe

I have the PRO4896 NEMA 34 motors and 4HP Hiteco spindle and was wondering If I could add a probe like some of the more expensive CNC machines. I’m just starting to investigate this and really have no idea what those expensive probes really do but it’s got to do something interesting. Any ideas ??

Basics… There are two categories of probes, based on usage… a fixed probe that the spindle uses to measure an installed tool is a “toolsetter”. A probe that the spindle carries around to measure the work or fixture is the other type.

A toolsetter lets the CNC accurately measure the tool you’ve installed. This is better than having to manually touch off Z every time you change bits, and can be used to check for tool breakage between tasks. Toolsetters are typically wired, but come in two types - mechanical (buttons) or optical (lasers).

For probing the work, Avid offers a simple probe that aligns with the corner of something and makes a circuit with the tool. Simple but effective. The next step up would be a Renishaw-type probe, which is a button attached to a stick. They can accurately probe most surfaces and sides, and can even map contours. They can be wired or radio/IR wireless.

There’s also the “taster” type probe, which is more likely used on mechanical mills as a way to zero out the mill on a surface.

Note that the more interesting probes are typically more useful when you have an automatic tool changer, as they do tasks that the operator would otherwise have to do.

Thanks for the information. I have the avid corner probe but was curious if I could benefit from other types of probes

Well, I have an ATC so I added a toolsetter. That way I don’t have to manually touch off every tool when I do a toolchange. But I still have the original Avid corner touch block. Sometimes instead of probing I position the spindle with a 1/4" rod in it and just push the jig up against it. What you’ll benefit from really depends on what you end up doing with your machine (and what you can afford :slight_smile:

Hey I’m several months into ATC and am interested in how your toolsetter is wired up. I have a 4 x 10 with the avid electronics and the cnc depot spindle box. If you could point me in the right direction to hook it up I’d be grateful. Also I’m running Corbins macro and screen set.

thanks
brian[quote=“djdelorie, post:4, topic:3105, full:true”]
Well, I have an ATC so I added a toolsetter. That way I don’t have to manually touch off every tool when I do a toolchange. But I still have the original Avid corner touch block. Sometimes instead of probing I position the spindle with a 1/4" rod in it and just push the jig up against it. What you’ll benefit from really depends on what you end up doing with your machine (and what you can afford :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Sorry, I’m not using the Avid electronics. I’m using LinuxCNC with a Mesa 7i76E card.

ok thanks for the quick reply.

If you have a look at my post in the RapidCHange ATC thread, there’s a pdf for wiring up a tool setter as a piggy back on the standard Avid plate. This way you can keep both.

Although it’s not shown in my test video (https://youtu.be/rnEVADaseC8?feature=shared), I use the avid plate with the Master tool to set my workpiece z height, and from there on all new tools use the tool setter: