True 4 Axis Milling

I know you saw this, Brian, but in case anyone else is interested, I linked to a post on Mark Meier’s blog in another thread. It’s a pretty good walk-through of the indexing process in Fusion 360 as far as 3D-surfacing on the rotary goes.

He has another post where he walks through using G93 inverse-time mode for clay extruding:

I’ve been curious about exploring new capabilities for lower-end CNCs, and in that vein, I wrote some Python code to do some simultaneous 4-axis milling on the rotary:

That was for the coffee table in this thread.

For a simpler example, I tweaked some 3+1 output from Fusion to make spiral posts for an hourglass.

When I first looked at this about 3 years ago, I couldn’t figure out how to make Fusion do a rotary swarf cut, not even using 5-axis with one axis constrained. I’ve looked a few times since and found only sparse documentation and no examples. John, is that something you’ve done? I guess I’ll have to work through it next time I have the right project. I didn’t want to start a trial yet, but I did try setting up a machine definition and didn’t find it difficult, and I looked up the current day rate for the Machining extension, which is $33/day.

2 Likes