Clearpath Motor Tuning

I will drop them today. If you still have issues the Teknic service is really easy to use and only takes about an hour at the most.

I got the files Steve, thanks!

I had appt with the Clearpath people this morning, so I shared your files with them and we tuned mine with numbers which are different, but likely achieve the same result. 90% of the vibration at 2730 MM/min and at 1330 mm/min are gone, those were my two resonant frequencies. I think it’s fair to say you cannot chase the last 10% out of an aluminum gantry machine, and that’s OK w/me, so much better now.
They put a lot of effort in, like 1.5hrs, I am impressed that they care that much.

In that folder I stuck the file from today’s tune, you are welcome to it, anyhow thanks again.

Out of interest, how are you measuring the vibration and determining the resonate frequencies?

I’m curious too. Are you saying that the peak vibration amplitude is seen at 1330 and 2730mm/min feetdrates?

Hey fellows, I can tell where the vibration occurs by writing a program to run Y back and forth 20 times, and set the F1300. Then advance the feedrate up or down to find oscillating frequencies. On my machine it presented a narrow band, like 1290 to 1330, and 2730 ±30 as well. Repeatable, and not present outside of those two.

This investigation came about as the machine was shaking doing some 1300 cuts.

As far as frequency, if it’s doing 1300 mm/min, then the math goes as follows with the limited evidence I have:
Top of wave on poor finished plastic milled parts = 2mm gap
Feedrate = 1300 mm/min
Sec in a min = 60

so 1300/60/2 = 10.8 = Hz

The second harmonic of 1300 is 2600, the 2730 manifestation may be just another fundamental frequency, it’s not right at 2600, so I’m not sure.

The vibration is the top of the Z axis shaking fore and aft, and the mounted computer stand also. I’d say it was enough to make bad parts, and maybe wear out machine components within a month if not attended to, not severe, but there. As far as the 90% reduction, that’s just a guesstimate, it’s nearly perfect now.

Ok, I was hoping you had recorded actual numbers.

If you do, please remember to include the sensor manufacturer, lot number and of course placement on the machine.

Personally I timestamp the readings because any meaningful analysis requires an accurate clock.