Cutting countertop laminate (Wilsonart, Formica, etc...)

I’m a complete newbie that just purchased a 4’x10’ pro package (just arrived and still in the boxes). I’m planning on making a ton of things but I’m wanting to start with some countertops. Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with cutting laminate like Wilsonart or Formica with their machine? I’m hoping to be able to glue it to the substrate and cut it all in one go. My apologies if this subject has already been addressed. I did a search and found nothing. Thank you!

Willie

1 Like

That should be very doable. You’ll want a bit that will avoid tear out on both the top and bottom of the counter.

I’d probably use a compression bit. There may be some bits that are specific to laminate. You could check Amana tool.

1 Like

Eric! You’re a Star! Thanks for the response. I truly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Willie

1 Like

Hi Willie,

I am new to the forum, but I have had and used my 4 X10 Avid Pro for a few years now. I have done a few projects where I glued the laminate to the substrate, and they have come out great. I recently started making cabinets using prefinished plywood, and I am amazed at how clean the cuts are. Like Eric said, the key is to use a compression bit to avoid chips. I have used the Amana Tool 46172-K CNC SC Spektra Extreme Tool Life Coated Compression Spiral 3/8 D x 1-1/4 CH x 3/8 SHK x 3 Inch Long 2 Flute Router Bit with much success. I hope that helps.

Wow! Exactly the info I was looking for. I super appreciate the help. Thank you so much!

Cheers,

W

Would you mind sharing the ideal speed for that bit? As I’m new to all this, I may not have phrased that correctly.

Thank you

Willie these settings work for me, but I strongly suggest experimenting and making adjustments as required:

•	Feed Rate: 180-220 inches per minute (ipm)
•	Spindle Speed: 16,000-18,000 RPM
•	Depth of Cut: 0.25 to 0.5 times the diameter of the bit (which is approximately 0.09375 to 0.1875 inches per pass)

Remember, these values can vary based on the material you are cutting, the rigidity of your machine, and other factors. Always start on the lower end and make adjustments as needed based on the performance and quality of the cut.

Rob,

I owe you a bottle of whisky, a nice bottle of wine, or whatever you prefer. You probably just saved me a lot of pain and suffering.

Seriously, DM me with your city info and I’ll find a local place to kindly repay your information generosity!

Cheers,

Willie

Thank you, Willie.

I appreciate the offer but that is not necessary…just pay it forward.

Peace,

Rob

1 Like