Emergency stop mounting

Does anyone know how to mount the emergency stop to the front of the machine? I only have 8M fittings left over. and none of the screws fit inside the stop button.

Thank you

Joe

2 Likes

Great first project for your CNC machine. HDPE is a wonderful material to work with on your first project. You can get large chunks of it from McMaster-Carr and sometimes Amazon.

I am sure there is somebody who can sell you one in the ā€œfor saleā€ topic. But I would recommend making your own. Itā€™s a right of passage.

Although you can also get smaller sized screw roll-in nuts that will fit on Amazon or directly from 8020. They would be the roll in nuts for 40 series and it takes M4 screws. Double check the screw size because my machine is older.

Myself, I like to have it free and sit in the chair with it in my lap while the machines does all the work and I take all the credit.

thank you for your helpā€¦

2 Likes

Like this.

3 Likes

thank you for this idea

You might not be able to match my skillsā€¦so probably better you donā€™t even tryā€¦

1 Like

If you have access to a 3D printer you can find a free file online. I made mine that way. They also had a holder for the touch plate.

2 Likes

I second this. Found both designs and was able to clean everything up. It is about 10,000x better than trying to dual lock them to the extrusion and then they keep falling off!!

1 Like

Zip tie it to your palm, that way itā€™s always ā€˜on handā€™.

But seriously, good stuff here. Also seen someone put a belt hook on one so itā€™s always ready when working near the machine. Trip hazard, though.

2 Likes

I also went the 3-D printer route

1 Like

I opened mine up and drilled a couple holes or (maybe just one) then roll in t-nuts

1 Like

My son has a 3D printer, so I got the free files off line and he printed the emergency stop holster for me, but he had to modify it to fit my button, it was too little once printed. Evidently I didnā€™t get the corner finder holster file but we just modified the other one to make our own. Both seem to work well and are right where I need them. My emergency stop button is on the right side since my desk sits just to the right of the machine, so no matter whether Iā€™m sitting at my desk or standing in front of the machine it is within quick reach. I placed the corner finder on the left side because I use the front/left corner for my standard starting point.

2 Likes

That looks awesome. Was the vacuum system 3d printed by your son as well? what kind of 3d printer does he use? would he be willing to share the files?

Thank you for sharing

Zac says his printer is a Prusa MK3S 9x9. I got the dust shoe off Etsy from ā€œOneGuyInAShopā€ and it works fantastic. Picking up virtually 99% of all dust made by the machine. The files I donā€™t available right now; I got them off on ThingIVerse for free, but as I said, his button must have been a smaller version than mine as he printed it and my button didnā€™t fit so he modified the size. For the corner finder holster, again he just modified the original a bit so it was a slot clear thru so the cable can slip out.