Interested in having an "Everything Lasers" Category?

Hi Jude,

I know of a couple dozen people who have added an Opt laser to their AVID machine following the directions I have posted on the link on the main post of this thread. They usually get it working relatively easily and if there is an issue its usually just simply a step missed somewhere in the instructions.

1 Like

I agree that an Everything Lasers category would be much appreciated – and @jjneeb should get the Laser Jedi forum badge!

1 Like

Hi Jude, I followed Jim’s @jjneeb instructions on his public google drive and it was smooth sailing. Jim also designed a quick disconnect for the OPT lasers which is excellent and highly satisfying to build – it showed me more of what the machine is capable of insofar as 2-sided machining and 2-sided design work on multiple sheets in Vectric VCarve Pro. Bob

2 Likes

Yes- count me in for everything laser. Ive had my OPT laser set up on my Avid 48x48 for about 2 years now. I wish i had a place to go and discuss, especially when i was setting up.

1 Like

I like the idea of having an Everything Lasers category

I followed Jim Neebs notes and all went smoothly. Running the OPT 6w without issue so far.

2 Likes

What’s your use case for a laser?

I don’t make my living with the CNC, but my original intent for the laser was burning logos into my finished wood pieces. Secondly being able to custom engrave work and do finer detail work than what the router could do.

1 Like

I use a laser to make parts for clients, artwork and laser cutting thin sheets. I have a 10w Endurance now on my older machine.

@Erik and @Judedude are you both using Mach 4?

If so, have you done anything special in your Mach setup for the laser? (like Z offsets, XY offsets, etc?)

I’m using a different version number of Mach, Jim Neebs Screen, and I think v283 for the Smooth Stepper. There may be updated versions of all that, but its been working for me, so for now letting my tinker bug take a back seat. Jim’s screen for Mach4 has a laser offset window that is built in, but I haven’t figured out how to use it yet. That is something I want to get working correctly, since it would be nice for a few mixed carve and laser projects I want to try.

Im using Mach 3. I have set up a Laser configuration and calculated the X and Y offset. Only need the offset when I need to coodinate both the Milling and the Laser on the same parts.