Plywood noise vases

As this was the first project I attempted on my rotary, I went for something easy. These are straight-forward rotary toolpaths (Y mapped to A) which are cutting heightfields wrapped around a cylinder.

First, the plywood donuts were cut out on the main spoilboard (XYZ). They were glued together and then the interior cylindrical hole was sanded. Next, coats of epoxy were applied to the interior as I would not have been able to finish the inside like the outside for lack of space.

After that, a stub was glued onto the cylindrical stock so the stock could be loaded into the rotary chuck. The rotary cut was performed, the stub was cut off, and the entire part sanded.

There are multiple different heightfields / grayscale noise maps applied. The maps are both procedurally generated plus manually painted and tiled. Ten vases in total were made; all are unique. For more pictures, see https://www.flynn-design.com/product-page/rustling-vases

Matt

2 Likes

These are wonderful, thank you so very much for sharing! Were these cut to full depth in a single ā€œzā€ pass or were there a number of z step-down passes? (for the rotary cuts that is)

Very nice. Plywood (and even OSB) can be really cool looking in the right application.

Reviewing the file (these were made a while ago) it appears that I played it safe. I used a downcut bit to avoid splintering the plywood. While the bit I used had a 1.25" flute length, the file shows three roughing passes at 1/2" depth each. The finish pass also used a downcut bit; a 1/4" ballnose.

1 Like

Very nice vases! You have much more artistic talent than me! The plywood adds unusual features.

Those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Iā€™m inspired!

Sweet first rotary project.