Anyone else using a Mac

Is anyone else using a Mac for any of their work? I have a small PC to run the CNC but for vcarve and other programs that wont run natively in the Mac OS I use Bootcamp and run Vcarve? Just curious. I know the new Macs wont run bootcamp because of the chipset but I got my MBP before they changed.

2 Likes

We are on Macs also but for the CNC we have a designated PC that we use for Mach 4 and Vcarve.

1 Like

Same here. Fusion 360 on MacBookPro and old Dell + Windows for Mach 4.

2 Likes

I run MBP’s using parallels for vcarve and mozaik. I also used to use them for Mach 4 and found they worked perfect. Although now I have dedicated PC’s for the CNC’s.

2 Likes

I used the MBP for the Mach in the shop but when I realized how much dust was going in my 3k laptop I bought a dedicated pc for in there.

1 Like

I run everything I can on the Mac (M1 Max). Parallels works flawlessly with Windows 10/11 so V-Carve Pro, Aspire, and Mozaik all work great. Fusion 360 runs natively on the M1. I too run a separate “Mini PC” (less than $300) for Mach 4 but have it in a “dust-controlled” area in the shop using a wireless keyboard/mouse/Xbox controller near the CNC. It’s so handy to have that PC sitting on the Network where I can design (in the house) and then just drop G-Code to the PC quickly. I use wireless for network connectivity and ethernet to connect to the CNC controller. I know some are paranoid about this, but there is really no danger to having the Mach4 PC on the network. Taking a USB stick to the PC each time is too inconvenient.

2 Likes

My “office” computer is a Studio Ultra that I do my Fusion 360 and Aspire (under Parallels) work on. On the CNC I am currently using an iMac (pre-M1) running Mach4 under Bootcamp. However I have been having issues with Bootcamp lately (sound goes out, WiFi goes out, randomly) so I just ordered a 17” Dell XPS laptop to take its place (and run Aspire when in the shop).

Sad that there aren’t enough of us Mac CNC’ers to warrant companies supporting the Mac. I really do dislike Windows a lot.

3 Likes

I’ve been Mac sins 2003 full ecosystem. Was a pro photographer and back in the day…. I hate saying that, the platform was superior. And even today I still use 2011 Mac minis