Asking for Fine Detail Sanding Suggestions

What are the go to tools for fine detail sanding of 3D carves, signs with shallow shelves, bowls with tight radiuses, etc when you don’t want to do it all with hand sanding?

I do a lot of one-off projects on varying materials, so can’t always dial in the feeds/speeds to get the best finish off the CNC. The go to sanders I use are random orbital (Festool in my case, round and delta sanders – including the foam backed granat pads).

Those work great on broad surfaces or smooth profiles like moldings, but not so much for hard to reach spots and fine details.

Anything to reduce sanding time to bring things up to a 220 grit or so would be worth the tool price (and my sanity).

Thoughts or advice?

First, I use good V bits like the Amana replacable carbide Vbits, and keep the step over on my tapered ball noses less than 10% so I don’t need a lot of sanding. Then what I usually use for carvings is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Mixiflor-Abrasive-Woodwork-Polish-Grinder/dp/B08D689WD4/ref=sr_1_8?crid=Y6G00LS0HGV0&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.KRWrjUL0TXyaYIm0tS75UsSYUHGytjwIQkdHT3P5z2RUB6KHOHRVQeMLYVpI36NjuEP1Btp9mxEJBi7B1dVAZn3RhKVhjXZD8AKeIAcY-dtfYtMNouQYoeuWnZxLFgileJIc7jYRAS5id-ogQlcv3TdgIoA3tGGfrTzgeFPn1Hs9wKP_7vQJMdvVlxoiJJbpdNc5d2Qwr2mwKEBmk_yoCxtAkU8PHxufkPSfpaDxP7o.NqQCux7Bie2ZRBNaunIBY4MJ1eBxZCgNwNDFpgavoTw&dib_tag=se&keywords=nylon+sanding+brush+for+wood&qid=1790394230&sprefix=nylong+sanding+bru%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-8

I don’t usually sand them at all except for the bottoms of pockets that didn’t come out smooth.

Thanks, Jim. I’ll check definitely check those out!

I’ve seen people use vibratory tumblers. You can use different materials in the tumbler for different surface effects.

Haven’t tried it myself yet, but I’m intrigued. It’s probably good for artsy stuff, but if it’s removing material it can’t be great for precision work.

I haven’t done much 3D carving on my machine yet, but I did do a western scene using Vectric stock models and also a barley twist project from Vectric on my rotary.

I concur with Jim that the nylon brush wheels work pretty well for minor clean up. I have an assortment of shapes and grits to put into a drill. I also have some small nylon brush wheels that are made for a Dremel or other small rotary tool. They just mount on the mandrel like the cut off wheels. These work well for fine detail sanding.

Here is an Amazon link to the Dremel disks.

Just bought a harbor freight vibratory tumbler this weekend to see if I could cut down on my sanding workload. Just started testing it. The walnut shell media harbor fright sells had little effect other than burnishing-- would only be useful for a final pass after parts are already sanded to 320#. I am going to try mixing in some 220 grit alumina with the walnut shell and see if that works any better.

Would love to hear suggestions on other materials to try in the tumbler if anyone here has experience with them!

@jjneeb I use those brushes all the time for my detailed patterns but I found that the blue brushes can leave a light blue hue behind. I found these ones that have less dye in the nylon work better: Amazon.com: Rocaris 8 Pack Nylon Wheel Brush Abrasive Grinding Head with 1/4 in Shank | 80/120/180/240/320/400/600/1000Grit, Perfect for Removing of Rust/Corrosion/Paint : Industrial & Scientific

Also these sanding sticks can work well for stubborn areas, but they are quite coarse: 50PCS Sanding Sticks, Premium Double End Sanding Twigs, 120/280 Grit | Fine Detailing Polishing Sticks for Plastic Models/Wood/Metal/Small Area/Hole Sanding, 3 Sanding Shapes, 5.4 x 0.2 in: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I use either walnut shell or corn cob media in my tumbler for cleaning my rifle brass for reloading. I’ve never thought of trying a tumble for “sanding” small wood parts. I’m sure the corn cob media is softer than the walnut shells and likely wouldn’t produce any better finish.

I’m curious to hear about your alumina walnut shell mix and how it turns out.

@greg.obj

Great call. Yes, I have seen the light blue on lighter colored wood too. I’m going to order the grey ones right now.

Jim