Help with profile cuts

I am looking for some help. I am cutting out panels for closets and for some reason the holes are shifting the farther you get from origin. Simply it is over cutting the one size and as a result not cutting far enough on the other side. Does anyone know why this would happen? I am using a tool change on my avid and use fusion 360. The first five sheets I cut out had no issues. The one different is I went from a 3/8 to 1/4 compression. I have check and cannot find anything that would be causing it.

@Fourthgencraftsman I’m not really certain I understand the problem, I’m sorry for being dense. But possibly, is it a work-shift problem, where you manually edited an x or y work shift for say the profile cuts but not for the holes (if they are separate files, not cut with same work offsets?)

Or, maybe when changing tool, didn’t input the 2nd tool diameter quite properly, or accidentally edited it?

Or did you possibly edit the profile to cut inside vector instead of outside? That’s thrown me off more than once!

Hope something there is of help!
Best Regards,
Ryan

1 Like

Thank you for responding. I knew all the profile selections were correct and i I have a vacuum bed so I knew it was not work shift. I was thinking about it all night, just running through every possible issue and going crazy! After the first 5 sheets I changed from using a 3/8 compression bit to a down cut to cut the first 1/4” depth and then the 3/8” to minimize chip out. Then it dawned on me that maybe the problem was the pockets not the profile. So I checked all my setting for the tool path and realized somehow the feed rate for the pocket on a 20mm hole was 250 instead of 90. The hole is not a exact circle. After the bit goes around about 80% it has to make a 90degree change so not to cut the bottom out of the pocket. As a result it was losing about 1/32” step each pocket it cut. Which is not crazy but when it has to do 16 pocket that added up.

Long story short I lowered the feed rate and recut the same sheet and it was back to normal. Feed rate that high for that pocket was to much for the machine.

I don’t know if this explanation made sense or not. :grimacing:

Thank you again for taking the time to give me some info.

1 Like

Awesome! So glad you were able to figure it out! :ok_hand:

when I first set up my machine, I had the same problem. It drove me crazy until I someone pointed out what you’ve figured out on your own.

So it was dropping steps in a horizontal direction because of too-high accelerations at too-high feed rates?