Kaizen foam an Shadow foam

Just wondering if you have tried putting pockets in this stuff and if so bits used and your technique for holding to the table? :thinking:

I’ve not cut foam, but the one thing I have heard is that foam = conventional cut, not climb cut.

Is something specific you’ve tried not working?

I have several full sheets of Kaizen foam for tool cabinets an thought it be cool if i could combine that an the cnc. Haven’t looked any further yet on the internet thought I’d give it a shot here first!:wink:

I was curious so I did a cursory YT search and…yeah, this is certainly something people are successfully doing. Hope you’ll share your results with us!

Ha! I actually emailed FastCap about CNCing their foam awhile back. This is what they told me:

Yes we have done that, it works great.
Per my engineer who runs our CNC here the settings we found to work best are:
Downcut Bit (we’ve used ¼” and ½”)
Climb cutting
Outside-in pocketing
RPM= fast as possible (22,000 for us)
Feeds= 500-600 IPM

I haven’t had a chance to try it on my AVID CNC yet, but it worked well with my old DIY CNC. I would only run it at 200 IPM though. I used the Amana HSS1610 foam cutting bit. Got pretty good results. YMMV.

Does this mean climb cut the remaining pocket material or climb cut the wall but start from the outside?

To be honest, I’m not sure I even knew what outside-in pocketing even was back then. I was using Aspire at the time. I’ll see if I saved those jobs and look at my settings this evening.

It might be an option in the Fusion 360 CAM, though. I remember seeing it somewhere recently.

I’m a total weekend warrior, so I’m still learning with every project. I just remembered the info from FastCap and thought I would share.

I am surprised they recommended to climb cut. Climb cutting would usually compress the foam at the cut. I have a professional custom case manufacturer and they conventional cut/mill to get the cleanest edge. But then again, the cut direction could be tool telated. Either way, I know for sure compressing foam in the slightest during a cut leads to a jagged and sometime concave edge profile.

There was a great video on YT on Grimsmo Knives channel where he talked in depth about the process they went to find the best dynamic for cutting their Kaisen foam knife cases.