šŸ‘€ New Controls "Unofficial" Launch

Personally I have. Before working at Avid I built my own ATC system on a production 4x8 machine. Centroid/Acorn rocks for ATC. Thereā€™s a lot of documentation and built in software support for it.

On that noteā€¦ Any chances Avid will release an ATC spindle? If so, would you say itā€™ll be released in the next months, quarters, or years?

Weā€™ll have more to say soon, but I can say a couple of things:

-This new platform sets us up to release a lot of neat stuff
-We havenā€™t stopped working since this launch :wink:

Hereā€™s a good answer for you: ATC is coming! Read on for more details

2 Likes

3 Likes

This is awesome! With the coming ATC and a USB-BOB, it looks like all the work is done for my dreams of a big kid cnc console are coming true!

Now just the wait. Itā€™s already killing me.

Do you know if it will work with other ATC spindles like cncdepotā€™s?

Will it be a Hiteco ATC spindle, or a different brand? Curious minds want to know :grin:

I canā€™t see why the CNC Depot ATCs wonā€™t work great with the new EX controller. I have a Centroid Acorn controller, Clearpath servos and the CNC Depot RM40 ā€œTurnkey ATC Spindle Packageā€ on a Pro4860 with the rotary kit and Opt lasers. It all works great together. I think youā€™d need to investigate whether the wiring in the EX controller is similar to what they used before. That makes the spindle package plug and play, with nice pneumatics built into the VFD box.
If youā€™ve spent any time on the Centroid Forum, youā€™ve probably seen a lot of good things about ā€˜swissiā€™s Probe Appā€™. That add-on make all kinds of things, including ATC, incredibly user friendly in the CNC12 environment

Just like our Mach controllers this new EX control uses standard wiring/communication to make the spindle do ā€œspindle thingsā€ for example:

A simple relay starts and stops the spindle. 0-10 volts controls the speed of the spindle. Itā€™s all done using our same 14 pin connector too, so if you have one of our VFDs already you can just plug it into our new controller and be off and running:

(This is the Mach controller pinout)

https://www.avidcnc.com/support/instructions/electronics/pnp/manual/20.1/schematics/#14-pin-control-cable

Our software mods for tool changes in the Centroid EX controllers will work with any spindle/router too. At the end of the day all weā€™re doing is starting/stopping the spindle and controlling the speed.

Our ā€œMTCā€ system of manual tool height measurement will work with any spindle/router too because all weā€™re doing is measuring tools.

So in short, if you could use it with our old system it will work with our new system.

Weā€™ll have more detail to share on that soon, however Iā€™ll leave you with this quote from Ahren:

Hey Eric,

So, I built my own controller using LinuxCNC with a Mesa card and Iā€™m using the ClearPATH servoā€™s.

This is on a 5x10 machine with 12" Z. I did the auto-tune on the X axis, and copied the profiles to the Y1, Y2 and Z. I didnā€™t use the weights or anything. It looks pretty good. Maybe Iā€™ll go back and tune stuff a bit better. I did weight everything in sections so I can add up the weight.

My question is, Why the 3432Pā€™s vs 3432S ? Maybe the Pā€™s are better for the Screw driven machines, but, you want the S version for rack & pinion. I can push 1000 IPM no problem. Also have HLFB enabled and when a crash happens, the machine goes into instance E-Stop. This was why WHOLE reason I got the servoā€™s. (This machine is in a Maker Space). I ended up using the same servo for all axisā€™s. CPM-SDSK-3432S-ELN The Z can do 400IPM no problem. Which is pretty scary.

Machine is setup with a 4HP CNC Depot spindle and a 12 station ATC.

Finishing up the spoil board right now.

I personally didnā€™t pick the motors, our engineers worked really closely with Teknic to make this pick and tune them. My understanding is that the Pā€™s hold power over a much longer RPM range, and the Sā€™s drop off pretty quickly once the RPMs get higher.

Hereā€™s what it really means though:

Thatā€™s a .75" diameter bit cutting at 1.25" depth, single pass with 70% stepover at 800 IPM.

These motors with our custom tuning RIP.

3 Likes

I looked a the torque curves. The S can do around 900 RPM @ 320 constant oz-in, the Pā€™s can do around 1750 @ 209 oz-in. I decided for more torque vs speed. With the way I have mine tuned, I can do a full 1000 IPM and full torque. Itā€™s pretty scary. Maybe going faster would be nice for tool change, but, thatā€™s about it. I have NO idea why anyone would want to run any faster than that on these machines. Theyā€™re not rigid enough to take advantage of it. If I run a 1/2" endmill at 175 IPM, I get inconstant hole shapes due to the mass of the gantry. I slow it down they come back into shape. Just my thoughtsā€¦

@Eric Oh my godā€¦ looks incredible

I have been eagerly watching AVIDā€™s support site and I saw some general instructions for the EX controller were posted but no schematics yet. Are those still forthcoming?

They are, not sure on the exact timeline however.

Iā€™m trying to decide between keeping my setup with NEMA23 steppers and just upgrading to the new controller for the improvements over Mach4, or going all the way to a Servo setup. I donā€™t really have much trouble with lost steps for most of the work Iā€™m doing, but I am curious if servoā€™s change the fundemental resolution of the commandable positions of the machine. My thought here is that at least some of the accuracy/resolution is because steppers can only lock on to 200 positions, and it looks like Clearpath servoā€™s have 800 commandable positions in a rotation. That would seem to potentially lead to higher accuracy, but the backlash and nature of the rack/pinion interface might make that immaterial. Anyone have thoughts / experience here to share?

For most of my work this would not matter, but I do some small scale metal working where increased resolution and accuracy would be useful, and maybe that would be enough reason for me to spend the money to switch to servos.

Cheers,

Eric

This alone is going to give you a lot more performance and functionality.

Both our steppers and servos use the same mechanical system. If it were me Iā€™d move away from the Nema 23s. Nema 34s on this new system perform great. Servos are even better. Theyā€™re faster, stronger, and closed loop.

All three systems have great positional accuracy (thanks to 2000 steps per rev X ~3 on steppers) and the high resolution of the servos. On servos we use ClearPaths hard stop homing to make homing even more accurate.

Honestly I think Nema 34s are very good value for money, but they are still open loop. If you can swing I often live by the ā€œby once cry onceā€ motto. If you can swing it youā€™ll never regret buying a servo system. :slight_smile: