Painting Small lines

Hi, I’m making a Cribbage board and I’ve got a bunch of line separating the peg holes. The lines, which are a couple of hundreds deep and about 1/32 wide are hard to see. I wanted to try paint or epoxy to file the line so they stand out but unsure on a good method of doing this. Any ideas? Thanks

1 Like

I vote for cut the lines straight into your design with a small end-mill, then fill them with epoxy, ejected from a syringe, and re-machine the top flat after the epoxy cures. I did this in a bench project and also this entry way table project and it worked really well. I have done this on ~5 projects now and it seems to work really well. I cut a little deeper than I think I need to and I use slow cure epoxy and give it the minimum 3x days to care.

This project speaks to my heart. A set of cribbage boards was the first project I helped my dad make for a set of Christmas gifts on one of my first home build small CNC machines with a 386 running hand coded software running in compiled MS-Quick Basic-Pro back in 1989~90. So many good memories from that project. Had to wrap the whole thing up in a black plastic trash bag and keep a shop vac running while cutting wood with the Dremel to keep it from slowly covering the room in sawdust.

Thanks for taking me on a trip down memory lane here. This is that first mill, below, and one of those first cribbage boards. I went back and milled very fine 1/16in slots in them but I don’t have any pictures of those. This one was the prototype which Dad let me keep. Dad had a company in town etch the brass plate with each of our names on them, but it doesn’t show in this ancient photo.

1 Like

Carve, then seal with Shellac, then stain or paint, sand off then seal again. Have done this on several projects and everyone thinks it was done with a laser.

Thanks for this. I’ve tried it with contact paper, but the paint bled a little underneath. I like this idea better.

You;re welcome. The shellac keeps the paint from bleeding.

I tried both shellac and polyurethane with black stain, black Acrylic paint, and a black touch up stick. The stain bleed the worst followed by the touch up stick. The paint did the best but had a harder time filling all the voids. Both the shellac and polyurethane worked well protecting the board and sanded off pretty easily. My next rev I’m going to expand the layout so the letters can be bigger because the V bit was having a hard time with the small letters.