Surfacing bit recommendations needed

Hey folks, looking for recommendations on a good surfacing bit for my setup.

I have a pro6096 kit with the 4hp spindle. I’ve got some full sheets of MDF to use as spoilboard but realized I don’t have a surfacing bit. I do have some flat bits that I could use but they’re relatively small and doing a light shave off the top would take a crazy amount of time.

What would y’all recommend for a good bit to use to tackle this job? I’ve seen bits that range in price from $30 to $300…

I like the slab slayer from RIP tools because its got carbide cutters that are very reasonably priced. You can use this bit for milling any kind of wood, I’ve even used it to mill aluminum cylinder heads flat. Mine is 2.5" in diameter, so you can really tell if your tramming is off, and it makes quick work of milling jobs.

I really like the Tornado from Fraisertools.

Amana RC-2251
Is my go to.

How do you zero the depth on something that large? The spring-plate sensor that came with my kit only only has a space of 2.25" across for bits to touch and do their alignment… so this bit wouldn’t fit in the way most other bits do. Do I just get a smaller one that would fit that space (a 2" surfacing bit would only have 1/8" on each side)

I just do it manually. Z down to the highest point on the slab and high Set Z zero.

The I just keep resetting Z Zero down by 0.100" or so every run and re-run the same toolpath.

1 Like