Trace Pattern to make toolpath

I would like to take a paper pattern and use the CNC to trace the pattern and make a file I can create a tool path from? I know I can only create points, but is there a way to do it without adding more software? I have a 4896 using Mach 4 with v carve pro.

If you don’t mind using some extra software (software that is free that is), a quick google search will turn up Inkscape. you can take a picture with your phone. load it into Inkscape user the trace bitmap menu and then the stroke to path option. The save the file as a DXF and load it into any program you like.

Might not be what you are looking for, just sharing one way I do things when I’ve got something on paper.

Take a picture and import it into your CAD package (all of them have this feature for this very reason) and trace over it after scaling it to the size you need.

If that last part is hard, take a nice ruler and put it next to the drawing before taking the photo.

I am currently cutting EVA foam for boat decks and make paper patterns on the boat than place the patterns on my CNC table and orient then at a origin marked on the spoil board. Then use a fine point bit, in my case a 1/16 tapered ball bit and lint it over points on the pattern, right down the x/y coordinates on the pattern and later connect the points in aspire using the line tool. Once you get the system down, it goes fairly quickly depending on the complexity of the pattern. Just another idea.

Len, this is exactly what I am wanting to do. I should be able to do the same in V Carve, I have several people with boats including myself. You just write the coordinates I assume zero from machine home X/Y zero? I will have to try it.
I was trying to find out if there is any way to do this and have MACH4 feedback the coordinates in some type of file. I think the Shop Sabre has this built into the control.

The Inkscape suggestion seems like the fastest rout- especially if you have a scanner to avoid lens distortions. If you overlay the design with a grid for scale, you can take a high resolution image from a distance to minimize lens distortions, import the image to whatever CAD program, then skew the result to match the program’s native grid; I do this with Fusion 360, allowing me to scale to the target size and check feature dimensions before finalizing any manipulations.

Another solution would be the Shaper Trace. Shaper apps are very simple to use and work well. This won’t ship till December, but might be worth the $99 if you do it a lot.

I have one of these and it’s fantastic, super easy to use and from what I can tell so far pretty darn accurate.