Woodbrew 5x5 Build With Vertical Table

Thank you I built a rotary on 4 linear bearings that would travel up and down so I could cover them when not in use and use the entire surface of my CNC, After over a year which i only had to run the plate location after i moved it I would like to think it was a success. I haven’t talked about it much because of other irons in the fire. Figuring I would really go after it after I retire from the daily grind. I will have to dig into files later to find the info. My actual email is customwoodetc@gmail.com

Thanks

Ron

1 Like

This is so cool, looks like we have a similar modular spoilboard setup as well. I would be really interested to see additional photos of this raising/lowering system if you have them.

Hi @WoodRon ,
I bought the rotary axis with my CNC 18 months ago but I did not installed it yet because, as you said, I didn’t want to loose table top surface (I have a 5x5). I just discovered your post and it’s amazing. I would be very interested in more pictures / details if you have some. I think I get how the linear system works but I would also like to understand how the modular spoilboard works and how you can be sure it’s flat with the rest of the spoilboard.
Very nice job though

I leave the lift up most of the time because I am doing things that don’t take the whole board. But when I need it the process only takes about 20 min to get the whole surface back. I got with an engineer that is affiliated with the extrusion supplier for Avid to work out the details and make the parts. A few of the ideas didn’t work out so well but I was able to rework them. I will get into more depth after an out of town trip next week. I was waiting until I was retired from my daily grind to really work out a simple version and offer it up. For example the crossmember you use as a base for the lift has to be perfectly parallel with the gantry. I used a laser in the spindel to achieve this. A 50 cal gun site laser will fit into a 1/2 in collet.
Thank you for your interest
Ron

2 Likes