Laser Rotary Work

Doing some testing on the laser working with our rotary. It works!

Now I’ve got to get some tumblers or something else interesting to engrave on.

@jjneeb I assume you’ve tried this as well?

1 Like

Yep

1 Like

I hadn’t seen the corkscrew before… That’s awesome

I saw an ad for opt 30 watt, hadn’t had a chance look at it yet, but I bet you have…

You can order the 30W on their web site, but they don’t have a lot of info on the web site yet, and I have not been able to play with one yet.

Hey Brian, I broke down and ordered one today. They have a good summer sale going. My wife just got a new office cabinet, so it was only fair that I get another laser, right?

It was just a matter of time…lol Did you see any of that storm footage I posted? The Big Bang Storm 6-19-23 part 2 - YouTube I have about 90 min of footage, still going through it.

Ya, you guys get some nice storms. Ours are usually just a bunch of dirt blowing around. Of course, every once in a while you get a big one that’s not fun.

1 Like

Eric or Jim, Could you send me the post-processor you are using for this? I’m on Centroid Acorn, which doesn’t have a PP for this. I might be able to hack it over to Centroid if I see how you’ve done it.

My public folder is here: Public CNC Docs - Google Drive

Go to the post processors directory. The description of what each one is for is in the file header.

Perfect! G93 wrap Y with Z. Just what I was looking for.

I have this working for Centroid Acorn running an Avid Pro with the Avid Rotary module. I just wasn’t able to give it a formal christening since we are out of wooden toothpicks.
Thank you Jim!

1 Like

From what I understand/remember on the Acorn system I had back in the day lasers are treated just like a spindle.

You might want to ask in the Centroid forums to see if anyone there has made a wrapped post.

I did ask. There are good rotary wrapped PPs but nothing for laser and rotary.
It’s a little different than just a spindle, but’s Jim’s PPs were very instructive.