Mach4 plasma post for Fusion 360 (WIP)

I was surprised to find there wasn’t a peaceful way to design a part in Fusion 360 and plasma cut it in Mach4 without a Sheetcam license. I don’t have plasma but I got a couple files I’m told were output for Avid’s Mach4 and decided to see if I could recreate a Fusion 360 post processor, including the five cut rules available in Sheetcam. Maybe someone with the proper tools (and bravery) would like to give this a try. Initially the post is encoded - once it reaches a safe release level I’ll probably decode and share so others may use elements in their projects.

I do not warrant functions contained in the program will meet your requirements or that the operation of the program will be uninterrupted or error-free. The program is provided “AS IS”, without warranty of any kind, express or implied.

1. Import Post Processor

2. Tool Setup

• Setup a tool with some cutting properties.
  • You can setup a number of material profiles by adding new entries to ‘Cutting data’.
  • Cut power: Being used as Mach4/ESS target tip volts.
  • Pierce time: Being used as Mach4/ESS pierce delay.

3. Create a new Setup

• Operation type: Cutting

4. Create a Toolpath

• 2D Profile is the only choice

5. Toolpath Post Properties

Post Properties

• Small circles: Disables THC for holes with a diameter less than 1.1 in.
  • Small shapes: Disables THC for shapes/curves with a diameter less than 1.1 in.
  • Tight corners: Disables THC for a set distance before and after tight corners (< 60deg).
  • Lead In: Disables THC for lead in moves.
  • Lead Out: Disables THC for lead out moves.

6. Post Process

• Customize as-needed.
  • Mostly just included to have parity with Sheetcam.

7. REVIEW GCODE

• If you’re running a plasma machine, you’ve already got more experience than me. Now is a good time to have a look at the gcode file and decide if it’s likely to succeed.
  • Good luck!

Mach4 Plasma.zip (24.2 KB)