Salad Bowl with Deep Wood Inlays

Hi all!
I began experimenting with some deep wood inlays with the ultimate goal of making a large bowl. These are 1"+ deep inlays glued up to make the bowl shape. I go over a lot of the problems I encountered in the video on the build:

I’m pretty happy with how it turned out, but it involved several weeks of testing. Here’s a few photos of the finished piece:

4 Likes

That came out great! I have a question about atc, can the spindle warmup routine in mach4 be edited? Cnc depot rm40 requires quite a few speeds and times for its warm up. I was looking for a way to automate this.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, you can edit the warm up speeds and times. There’s a JSON file you edit…I’ll dig it up shortly.

Alright! In the Mach4 directory, go to Modules\AvidCNC\Config and edit Spindle.json – just choose the spindle you selected (I selected the 7 HP one) and modify the values. They are a percentage of the max speed set right above. It should be pretty easy to see the pattern an edit it, but if you have trouble let me know!

Awesome!! I seen all the videos picking up tips along the way!! Keep them rolling out when you have time

1 Like

Thanks man, I really appreciate your knowledge and help.

1 Like

The bowl is awesome! What a pile of work though. Not something I’ll attempt. But thanks for the video showing some great techniques. Keep it up if you can.

1 Like

Yeah! I was pretty ready to quit on it a few times… I kept cracking wood pieces and was questions what the heck I was doing.

1 Like