Spoil board questions?

Hey everyone,

In the middle of my spoil board. I’m doing a 2 layer design with T tracks. Top layer is cut into slats and will be screwed to the bottom layer.

Plan is to surface the first layer, then install the slats and then do a light surface on them.

My Question, how many people OIL the spoil board? My wood working friend is tell me he uses boiled linseed oil for his MDF work tops (ones with 20mm dog holes). Which, BTW, this spoil board will have. It’s similar to the one Corbin Dunn built in his video.

I’m thinking of surfacing the bottom layer, and then putting the oil on it, (several coats). And maybe surfacing it lightly once the oil is soaked in, then installing the slats, and doing the same process. Is this overkill? Do I need the oil? Do I need to surface after applying the oil?

Thanks!

For me I didn’t put any finishes on I don’t want it any slicker then it is. If you live in a high humidity area it might make sense to cover the bottom layer with a polyurethane. The top is gonna get machined down anyway…

I would not seal the MDF unless you are concerned about moisture. I definitely would not oil it.

I use MDF with a vacuum system on my spoil board. It does change thickness a couple thousands due to moisture but otherwise its pretty stable. Im in the desert southwest and humidity is not a problem unless you count our swamp coolers.

We use mdf for our shop tables and they work great unless we spill water on them or leave a damp rag on them, then they swell up in that spot.

I used the same system.
Surfaced and sanding sealer on the first layer
Used 1/4-20 inserts into the first layer to secure the slats
Counter sunk the screws 3/8" on the slats, thought about using brass
T Track in between slats
I have a 12’ table and ran the slats and t track the long direction

5x10. Running slats 5’ direction. Bottom spoil board made up of 2 49” boards. Giving a slight bit over 8’ Slats will be held down with 12 x1” Kreg Pocket screws with Maxi-heads. .420” counter bored. Track will be through bolted with 1-1/4” #8 screws. Will have to use inserts on at least two of them due to interference.

Shop is in East TN. Humidity can be a concern. Shop is Air Conditioned which is good, but still. It’s also for a Maker Space and I want to protect the surface as much as possible.