Teacher Connection

Hi Everyone, I know that there are many folks using AVID CNC machines in the classroom. Seems like there ought to be a thread to get us connected!

My name is John Aughenbaugh, I’ve been teaching CAD, 2d and 3d, to high school students on a few platforms over the past 11 years.

So far, my favorite CNC router is the Avid CNC pro that I’m currently using in my lab. My only regret is that I didn’t start with a bigger model!

Any questions about using Fusion or Inventor? Hit me up!

2 Likes

Im glad to see this in the class room. I live in a smallish town in Michigan and they really don’t teach CNC. they have a good woodshed program. If you want a bigger machine its easy to enlarge the avid!!! I am thinking that in the near future I may need the 6 foot wide and 12 feet. I currently have the 48x120.

1 Like

Growing my current machine is one of the reasons I picked the Avid platform. Dunno if I’ll ever get as big as your setup!

I may have been short on faith when I convinced myself that we wouldn’t be able to afford sheet goods to make use of a 4x8 foot or bigger setup. Now, Nicewood industries in Toano, VA is donating plenty of material to the school.

1 Like

So glad to see some teachers here! If this topic keeps growing we can make an education section.

1 Like

There is a large education community using AVID machines, I’m excited to get the word out about the forum. ESPECIALLY now that there are more desktop machines that get CNC into small classrooms and middle schools.

1 Like

I was surprised to learn via my #2 grandson, that our local high school shop doesn’t have a CNC – they have some great “old iron” but that’s it. Their metal shop has a CNC which the grandson got to use to make a small trinket for his girl friend. :kissing_heart:
This is a college town so the trades are not highly regarded. (And so who’s gonna fix that Tesla for you, huh?)

3 Likes

Knowing how to make things is for college bound kids too! Shoot, everyone with a computer should be able to use a CNC.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I manage the makerspace at Kailua Elementary School. Our students are slowly being introduced to digital fabrication. Our students have access to a laser cutter, 3D printers and a 4X8 Avid CNC. I am way in over my head but it has been awesome to see students naturally find ways to use these resources. My goal is to support them in designing real world solutions for our community. Build the world you want to live in!

Greg

1 Like

Greg,

That’s a heck of an arsenal for an elementary school! Do other schools in your complex come make use of the makerspace? What do you have the kids designing in as far as CAD / CAM ?

2 Likes

We use Tinkercad most of the time. My big push is exposure and including studnts in as much of the process as possible. We have had schools come over to see our set up and there have been smaller collaborations. We are always looking for community connections .
Glad you started an educator section. Thank you John!!

1 Like

Hi Greg,

Do you have the kids send you svg files of their stuff to get to the “machining” phase?

I teach at the highschool level, (even trained some teachers in Hawai’i) and I’m always curious to see how folks are doing things at the elementary schools.

1 Like

Hey John,
In Tinkercad you can create groups of students and even create activity grouping to keep track of student work. Way easier to keep track of everything. Previously we used a Google form and students would have to export their file and send it via the form. There were pluses and minuses but I feel like now students can spend a majority of their time creating their designs and we can make changes on the fly live. By all means let me know more about the training you have done!!

Greg

Hey John,
Would love to continue the convo when you have a chance.

Greg

Hey man, sorry I’ve been such a stranger. Got into a few side projects and a new one for my classes too.

I was working/teaching in Inventor for about 10 years, but I switched over to Fusion completely in 2019. I’ve used tinkercad, SketchUp, 123D, and a bunch of other stuff with students and adults over the years, but my favorite is Fusion. I like that I can teach 3D modeling AND machining without multiple softwares. I utilize 3d printing (fff/fdm), laser cutting and engraving, and of course three axis milling. I’ve done some 4th axis stuff, but I don’t currently have one in my shop at the school.

Really like doing mixed media product design with my high school students, just got them through backlit signs. Will be doing some milling on the AVID router in the next two weeks. I’ll post some of their stuff.

1 Like

Spent two weeks in 2015 at UHWO and then again in 2016, training some high school teachers in PLTW intro to engineering and design. Mostly from Kapolei, but other complexes too, and some of the outer islands.

Ever been to the 'Iolani lower school?

1 Like

That is awesome!! Yes. Iolani’s whole campus is amazing! My first experience with laser cutting was with Matthew Dillon. Super down to earth and easy to talk to.

Greg