Wooden Bathtub on Pro 5x12

Amazing work! If you ever sail it to Australia, I wonder if it will drain in the opposite direction?

2 Likes

Thank you! No issues sectioning it. I modeled all the sections and segments. It was challenging to find good workholding methods but one I got that down and a rhythm it was relatively easy. No fiberglass. Thought about it like a wood surfboard or kayak but felt it was overprotection for its use/abuse case.

That is an amazing project! Do you post your videos on YouTube? I want to make sure I’m subscribed if so because I don’t want to miss this one!

2 Likes

This is such a gorgeous piece. Absolute A++

Wondering how slippery it is inside tho when soaped up? Is it possible to ever get out? :rofl: :bathtub:

Joking aside – you have an incredible talent there as well as eye for the aesthetics. Thanks for the share!!
Ryan

1 Like

Wow that’s impressive, basically a work of art . Can’t imagine the amount of hours it took to complete . Was well worth it though

1 Like

I wonder- does your machine feature both the 12" Z Axis and gantry height, or is the gantry 8"? Could you reflect on the performance and considerations of the 12" Z Axis? Any insight would be appreciated- thanks.

I do have the 12 inch risers installed. I got the 8 inch risers thinking I would swap for most projects but I never have used them. I imagine there is more vibration and deflection but I haven’t needed to run anything too quickly yet so I’ve just optimized speeds and feeds for my taller setup. If I was in a production atmosphere I’m sure this would matter more than it has. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Understood and appreciated. Is there enough slack in cabling and what not that none require replacement when installing the risers?

1 Like

You’re welcome. I had no issues with cable management. I still have far more than needed all zip tied up on the backside of the electrical boxes.

I’d say go for it if you’ve got a fun project you need the clearance for.

2 Likes

Thank you! It took some time, for sure. Fun project.

Thank you!! I appreciate that. It does get slippery haha

Thank you! I do post to YouTube. I do intend to do a video of the tub build still I just haven’t gotten to it yet (moved this year so it’s taken a bit to get the house and garage shop set back up).

You can find it under Steve Hansen at:

PS. I didn’t have the CNC for the monster truck bed or castle (would’ve been sweet) but I do have an inlay cutting board video up with the Avid.

Just a ping to put this back on your radar- a view into process would be most welcome. I wonder- what was the longest tool used? Of what diameter? How did it perform? With any special precaution?