Guitar stand one day build

Decided to knock out a guitar stand for an old family acoustic that’s been relegated to leaning against a wall.

Cut it out of birch veneered 15/32" ply, edge banded with birch and some carpet scraps from an old subwoofer project.

Whiteside 2-flute 1/4" compression bit, two passes - first pass 0.28" DOC 150ipm.

Cheap 2-flute 1/8" downcut spiral for the really small mortise and tenon interfaces.


Nice stand! Hard to believe this was just one day; most of my small projects take more than one day.

Nice. I keep one of my guitars by my desk leaning up against the printer. You may have inspired me to do something about that.

Thanks gordo and Cowboy. A wise man once told me that if you’re just looking to get something built for yourself, search it out on Etsy and borrow some ideas to cut out a lot of the early design process. There are some other shapes on there I would love to have! Maybe next time.

@DavidsPostProcessor I’ll have to chime in and add a third round of approval for your work. This is most excellent and it matches the guitar nicely! Question, how are the cross brace pieces affixed to the uprights are those fact glued? pocket screwed from behind, hidden finishing nails at an angle, drilled and dowled or some other means?
No matter which way you answer the above query, nice work man! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks awesome. Great job!

Nice work. I’ve made a few guitar stands/hangers, and I haven’t seen a design quite like that. Impressed it was a day project…I never seem to be able to get any project done in a day.

Wow, nicely done!! One day too, again well done.

1 Like

Wow thanks all, I didn’t expect to see much feedback on a quickie like this one. The cutting time was under 9 minutes. A few minutes to clean up tabs, iron on edging, little sanding, hot glue the carpet, trim to size, rub with mineral oil (yup!) and glue. It fit together tight enough to stand on its own, I didn’t even bother to clamp it.

I’ve learned it’s important to keep it planar in the design process, since the tooling is planar to the material. Really cuts down on the complexity if the goal is a quick job.

As simple as possible - pockets cut to half-depth on the inner faces and tenons inserted half-depth minus 0.003" so they don’t bottom out, also leaving room for a little glue. The pockets are oversized for the tenons about 0.006" total (.003 each edge) which has worked for me on previous designs. The pockets are cut with a slight dogbone shape at the corners since my smallest endmill is 1/8". You have to look close to see it, plus the glue squeeze out fills most of that in anyway.


1 Like