Introduction area

Hi my names Rick,and I’m an alcoholic. Sorry wrong forum,that’s Tuesday evenings at 7:00.
Anywho , I’m a 61 YO male still working in the telecommunications industry, living in the East Kootenays BC Canada .
I purchased an Avid Pro cnc router table a few years back . Went special order with a 4’ gantry , but went 5’ with the X axis as I thought maybe I would have a tool change spindle someday , which is wishful thinking I know .
I have never assembled it ,as I was wanting to order stepper drives etc , and build my own controller , but maybe next year if all goes well

3 Likes

:rofl:
Hey Rick, thanks for the laugh!!!
Lou

2 Likes

Howdy, my name is Wayne I’m 75 and built a 4x2 using a Masso controller. Love the machine and making sawdust.

4 Likes

Hey Wayne! Welcome and thanks for coming to the forum!

1 Like

Hi All, Dave here. This is my 2nd Avid CNC. The first was a 4896Pro (CNCRouterParts) that I needed sell as we were finishing our basement and had no place to put it… lame excuse I know. My current is a 5x3 Pro with NEMA 34s. I went smaller since it’s in my garage. Once I retire I may end up updating it to a 5x8 or x10.

Good to see AVID making this forum available for us. I frequent the AVID CNC User’s Group Facebook page quite regularly…nice to have options.

3 Likes

Hi all, John K. here. Bought a 4896 Pro with nema 34’s about a year ago. I’m a pro cabinet maker specializing in hand tool work. The CNC world has been a massive learning curve for me and I struggle mightily. I will be a frequent lurker around these forums, I assure you! Hoping one day to actually be able to help someone.

1 Like

Thanks for joining! Any questions you have please post them. One of the many reasons we setup this forum is because our users are always willing to help each other.

We’re happy to help you in your journey!

1 Like

Hi all, Retired furniture maker here. Never had a CNC until a group of us started up a Makerspace in 2013 and one of our first purchases was a “Build your CNC” kit.
I have a Benchtop pro 2x2 that I bought a few years ago. I keep hoping we (the makerspace) will have enough money someday to replace the Big Foot with an Avid. (Willing to grovel for donations. :wink: ) My retirement shop is too tiny to do any furniture, but it suffices for silly stuff. I use Vectric’s Aspire and Mach3 running on an old Dell with Windows 7. For the Makerspace, we have Vcarve Pro - Makerspace edition

3 Likes