Where to START, as a NEWBIE

Oh, I’m not condemning Sketchup as a program, it simply doesn’t make the cut for what I want to do in learning CNC. And, I have tried Sketchup.

I should ask, are you doing this as a community benefit, or are you charging a fee to teach us?

Thanks, sounds like I’ll need the luck.

I should have mentioned: I believe that information should be free and accessable to everyone. I openly share anything I created as open source and free use.

I can only promise face to face stuff when I’m available, but that is also free of charge. My style dictates that we would never sit face to face live for more than about 20 minutes at a time before you would need to spend some time working on your own.

If someone wants to get a scheduled, one on one slot of time on a regular basis, DM me and we can talk about how to make that happen.

1 Like

There are two aspects of it to learn. You have to learn how to design projects, and how to run the machine.

The machine is Mach4 software (assuming you buy a standard AVID machine), and then its configuration (you don’t actually HAVE to get into the configuration much if you don’t want to…but its fun :slight_smile:). You can look for some basic mach 4 videos on YouTube to get familiar, but I think most people pick that up pretty quickly so you can wait until you get a machine.

The design side is where you can do more upfront learning, and its good if you do because there is more learning needed here for most people. For most people, the choice comes down to either Fusion 360, or one of the Vectric products. Fusion is a full blown 3D CAD/CAM tool where you design a 3D object, and then create a toolpath to cut it out. With Vectric products you design a 2D object, and then apply the toolpath to make it 3D (there is some exception when dealing with 3D models, but I don’t think you can really create 3D objects, its more like 2.5D). You can view the 3D result in the simulator afterwords. Most people I know (many of them Engineers with CAD program experience) find Vectric much easier to learn, and must faster to create things that you want to do with a CNC router.

IF you want to do true 4 Axis work, then you have to use Fusion 360 (and buy an extra axis module because the free to hobbyist version doesn’t support rotary or more than 3 axis’).
Vectric rotary work is limited to 3 Axis, which is great for mostly round projects with 3D surfaces, but if you really want to machine parts of any kind, you need 4 axis.

I would recommend starting with Vectric Vcarve, watch their videos and play around with it. You can always upgrade to Aspire if you want to do more 3D modeling, and you can always pick up F360 later if you find Vectric limiting. When I need a simple 3D object that I want to turn on my rotary, I will design it in F360 and then import the .stl into Vectric and create the toolpath there. But otherwise I avoid F360 just because for the majority of the work I do Vectric is much easier, and so I don’t use F360 enough to get good at it.

I would also recommend watching some YouTube videos on basic CNC. I have one here: CNC Machine Basic Overview - YouTube, and there are other people who have posted similar videos.

1 Like

Oh I didn’t think you were! I’ve just taken SketchUp>CNC pretty far so I thought it would be worth sharing

1 Like

Absolutely worth sharing. Thank you!

1 Like

Coincidence, I started watching this a month ago.

Dang! That is the spirit! That is still how I view the internet, a community or resource where we help move one another forward. Thank you!

I went with Vcarve Pro because you buy it you have it on the computer. If you go with a internet program and the internet goes out your out of luck :wink:

Not related to CNC and I am all in favor of having all my work and my programs being on my own computer. I don’t like working and storing in “the cloud”. I wish buying and working locally were always an option. And, as you mentioned, I can then work anytime anywhere without needing a connection, which is being filtered.

There are lots of different schools of thought here (as you have read). Frequently, people will gravitate to the software they know best, or is most like what they learned on. Personally, I think each tool has its place. Here is how I use the tools you mentioned:

Fusion 360: I use F360 for complex part design, complex mechanical modeling and 3d printed part design. This is a feature rich, robust 3D modeling package, and it is great for complex geometries and intricate mechanical assemblies. For super-simple 2D or 2.5D parts or assemblies, I think it gets a little clunky and cumbersome. Features like parametric design variables and operation sequenced history and rollback makes it really great for iterative design as well. If you have used complex 3D CAD systems like Pro-Engineer, Catia, or SolidWorks, you will feel right at home here.

Sketchup: To me, this is best for simple constructs based on 2D/2.5D components. For example, you want to build a table out of flat pieces you cut out on the CNC. Its quick and simple. It lacks parametric editing capabilities (which -once you get used to using -is tough to live without) like F360, but its great for starting out with 2.5D designs. Its quicker to get started and learn, and is very similar to the old AutoCAD 2D/2.5D stuff from back in the day.

VCarve Pro: I originally just assumed it would only be good for the CAM side of things - generating and managing toolpaths for the CNC (much like a slicer for a 3D printer) but it overlaps heavily with Sketchup in the purely 2D space. Its actually much more robust than I was expecting, but it doesn’t do much for modeling multiple 2D/2.5D components in a 3D space like the previous tools. I also have not spent much time in it, and tend to use it for tweaking 2D components of a design and building the toolpaths. It should be noted you can also generate your toolpaths in F360, but I have not bothered going down that road yet.

Mach4: This is the MMI GUI for the CNC. It is mostly for setting up, configuring, zeroing, running, and loading programs onto the CNC. Stuff like that.

As far as learning, most of the programs mentioned have good tutorials, a bunch of free resources on YouTube for learning, and even fancy classes you can sign up for - if that is how you learn best. There is no substitute for seat time, however, IMHO. Any of these programs will take a bit of time to get comfortable with (especially if you do not have a background in some of the older generations or equivalents) and longer to get proficient with. Pick something and start modeling it.

Good luck!
-Rick

3 Likes

Hey Rick,
Great breakdown. I really liked it and it made the differences in the programs clear and concise.

It is now coming down to taking the time to learn at least two of these programs. In the case of Sketchup, for the fourth or fifth time.

I will need Vcarve. I will likely need Sketchup. and I will sooner or later need Mach4. F360 is a down the road program for me.

Thanks Rick!

1 Like

The combination of VCarvePro and Sketchup I find to be very powerful and sufficient for all I do. VCarve has a great interface where you can import a Sketchup model, for example a bookcase. VCarve automatically takes each component in the model, shelves, sides. back, top and bottom, and lays them down in 2d space for cutting in accordance to the nesting protocols you set. Then you are ready to generate the toolpaths. Fusion 360 is a more powerful 3D CAD tool than Sketchup but good luck trying to get the components imported into VCarve for cutting and life is too short for me to deal with the complexities of the CAM side of Fusion.

1 Like

You have a good start by reading the posts here. I recommend joining additional groups like on Facebook. The members have been through the trenches and youll learn a lot. Keep notes and ask questions. Doing this will help you to avoid many issues and mistakes. If you use V carve like many of the members join these groups as well. “Learn you CNC” is a great source of knowledge for the V carve software.
There are also groups on fakebook for Mach 4. These guys are awesome for alot of Mach 4 glitches and issues. Although so far Im seeing Mach 4 to be more stable than Mach 3.
Good luck and feel free to reach out for any questions.

Hi Sehast,
I just completed a Sketchup successfully, in one evening. Someone experienced could have probably done it in 10 minutes. At least, I was successful. Mostly.

I agree, it looks like Sketchup and VCarve will be my programs until I need F360. cost, is also a consideration.

I basically understand one can differentiate between the parts of a project in Sketchup and the entire project. I don’t know how to do that, yet. That is beyond what this discussion is about, however. And this does bring up a question. If there are internal components, such as a mortise and tenon, will V-Carve recognize them? (oh boy, now we are in the weeds waaaay beyond what program to learn!)

1 Like

What I really need to do is pick something I want to have and then start spending time in Sketchup designing it. I’ll get stuck pretty quickly and then know what I need to ask.

From the responses I’ve learned F360 is a great tool, and has a massive learning curve. I may want and need that tool one day, and I don’t want to be discouraged so I’m going to continue with Sketchyup and eventually Vcarve.

Thanks for the input regarding Vcarve being easier to import to and generate tool paths with.

Search for videos on importing Sketchup models into Aspire/VCarve on the Vectric website or YouTube. Here is a good set of videos:

And

Just look at the Vectric for Absolute Biginners play list.

1 Like

Hey D, On thé problem with the .25” bit being too big for the .25” dado… I had the issue all the time in vcarve. In the work I do i have to make tons of slots and I typically use a bit with diameter the same as the material thickness. I need the slots and lots of dados and pockets to be the same width as the material. Vcarve just won’t put a 3/8” bit into a 3/8” pocket. To solve this problem, tell Vcarve that your bit a half a thou smaller. So edit your .25” bit to be .2495”.