Z axis crashing into touch probe - why?

After homing the machine, I jog X, Y, and Z to near the corner of my 19mm thick MDF part. I then position the TP on the corner of the part and connect the magnet to the 12.7mm end mill. At this point, I like to pick up the TP and touch it to the bit to confirm the indicator shows Active - it does. I then select the upper left corner icon in the probe routine.

Normally, the Z moves slowly closer to the TP until it makes contact then backs off. But now it moves much too fast and crashes into the TP and I am at a loss to understand why. I cycled power on everything and tried again with the same results - I hit the EStop button before it hit the TP.

The machine ran fine just before this, but I did make one change: I switched the machine to metric units from inches. I suspect this is somehow at the root of the problem, but all the machine settings appear to be correct.

Here’s a screen shot of the current settings (I have never changed these)

I’m thinking my next step should be to reload the machine profile(?)

Although it’s not at all clear to me why this resolved the issue, reloading the machine profile did the trick.

I used the Mach 4 GUI tool to restore from an earlier backup file, in case anyone is curious.

I’m curious if the old profile you reloaded was in inches or metric and if in inches did you change it to metric, then it worked this time. Thanks!

I had this problem in the previous version of the software. Took a bit of work to figure out, but the root cause was that the routine I was running just before using the touch probe left in it relative mode. (G91 mode) In my case going into the MDI screen and executing a G90 to bring the software back to absolute mode was enough the cure the problem. Not sure if this is the exact problem you are having but it may add a little more data to the problem solving you are doing.

Both the current and old (reloaded) profiles were G20 (metric).

hth