Having trouble controlling spindle with mach4

[Formal Newbsters’ Dictionary lookup request]

I am a DIYer, bought the AVID controller for my cnc router table(got that working fairly easy). Then I kept burning through the 2.2kw spindles. So I bought a CNC Depot FM70C/AVID kit. Got it all hooked up. Cant figure out what I am doing wrong to get the spindle to work with Mach4.

I got the Drawbar and Case pressure working just fine.

When I go to run the spindle. I get “PTC Fault signal triggered”. Which from what I can figure out is something with the cable connection, maybe? Checked my 6-pin from vfd to spindle, and my 14pin from vfd to ess. Cant find anything out of the ordinary. Other than, I might not have the ess pinned in correctly.

Things I think I need help with:
Direction on how to figure out if my 14pin is pinned correctly between my ESS and VFD.
I am struggling pretty good with what to set for my “Pins Config” and “Output Signals”.
VFD parameters setup(haven’t found the correct literature on this one yet).

Specifications:
ESS - CRP-850-00E (Rev F-01)
CFD - Delta MS300 (Model- VFD33AMS23ANSAA)
Spindle - FM70C
Mach4 Hobby (AVIDCNCATC.set)

I think it would be easier for me to setup if I could speak to someone on the phone and help walk me through this part. But I will probably learn it better if you throw all the technical data at me and Im forced to sift through it to put it together. Either way, if anyone wants to chat me through it. Send me a DM.

Thank you for your time!
Thomas H.

You probably have to contact CNC Depot and ask them what is wrong. PS - if you haven’t seen my ATC screen set, definitely check it out!

I was able to get Alex on the phone to help me. He is such a nice and helpful guy! We did find a few issues on the cncdepot side of things. However we wernt able to figure out why the 0-10v pin wasnt providing the voltage it should have been to tell the vfd what speed to spin. I have a support request in with avid to see if they can help me with their ESS config.

And yes, I will def be using you for my ATC setup in the future! Already have you subscribed on youtube. Figured I would reach out to you when im up and running and see if we can collaborate something fun! or maybe ill be hitting you up to figure out ATC haha hopefully not.

1 Like